Chicken salad is enjoyed in so many different ways. I think we all have a delicious chicken salad recipe that has been passed down through our family. This recipe is half from a family recipe and half from a great friend of mine during her London catering days. I have adapted her chicken tarragon recipe by adding turmeric and sweet potato to increase the nutritional game of this salad. I’ve added my homemade mayonnaise. Of all the beautiful foods to create, I find making mayonnaise the most challenging. Pouring the oil in as slowly as this recipe requires really tests my patience. While slowly drizzling the oil in maybe you might like to practice deep yogic breathing or whatever works for you.
CHICKEN AND SWEET POTATO SALAD WITH TURMERIC MAYONNAISE
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 sweet potato, skin ‘n all
- 2 orange, juiced
- 1 tsp tarragon
- 2 cups homemade mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Bunch of parsley, basil and/or coriander
- MAYONNAISE: 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp Himalayan crystal salt
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 275ml olive oil, extra virgin
- White wine vinegar
- Freshly milled black pepper
- Step 1 Marinate 3 chicken breasts overnight in orange juice and tarragon.
- Step 2 MAKE MAYONNAISE: Put egg yolks, garlic, salt, few twists of freshly milled pepper and mustard powder into the bowl and mix together.
- Step 3 Whisk the olive oil in ONE drop at a time (this is the key to success) into egg mixture. I also like to place my mixing bowl onto a damp cloth which keeps the bowl from moving or slipping during the whisking. Actor, Nigel Hawthorn (Yes Minister) saw me do this once and commented so I reckon if it’s good enough for her it’s good enough for me and I’ve done it ever since. Curdling occurs if you add the oil too fast at the beginning.
- Step 4 Whisk each drop of oil in before adding the next drop. It’s not going to take all day because in a few minutes the mixture will begin to thicken.
- Step 5 When the mixture has thickened you can begin to add the oil in large drops.
- Step 6 Once about half the oil has been whisked in, add about a tsp of vinegar. Keep whisking. Season and taste.
- Step 7 CREATE CHICKEN SALAD: Cook chicken in marinade. Slice chicken up.
- Step 8 While chicken is cooking chop and cook the sweet potato.
- Step 9 Mix 2 tsp of turmeric into mayonnaise. Mix through chicken and sweet potato. Season and taste.
- Step 10 Sprinkle with shredded herbs and almonds, pull up a pew, sit and enjoy each other.